Monday, January 13, 2014

Warm and Sunny

Today was warm and sunny for most of the day here in Portland. That loosely translates to a day where people work very little and soak up the rays (you can imagine how productive we are in the summertime). Needless to say, I enjoyed the sunshine, walked all over downtown doing some light errands, before returning home for some afternoon snoozing with the cat (he snoozed, I read). Now that some clouds have rolled in and the sun has gone down, I am ready to settle in for some light knitting (and perhaps a cup of tea).

Since finishing my last outstanding knit sample last week, all of my knitting can be considered light. I have a stockinette sweater for my husband (that won't be interesting until I sew in the zipper) and a pair of socks for him that I essentially ignore because the US 0s make them go so slowly. I have four pairs of socks for me that require attention (3 need holes darned, one needs the cuff to be re-bound off) and an afghan.

I began this afghan probably 18 months ago in colors to go with the large purple couch that dominates our living room. Once I had nine squares done, I sewed those together and draped it on the couch. Its a lovely addition of texture (being mitered garter stitch squares) and color (I matched the purple color on only a very small bit, so the rest is a mix of black, grays, and white).

Eventually, I completed 3 more squares and joined them to the blanket. I can fit under it for a nap if I am curled up, or it works nicely as a "lap-ghan". However, I bought enough yarn to make this a large-sized blanket...so waste not, want not. (Plus I'd really like to open up some of the room in the bin that holds my stash yarn.)

I took a block with me out into the world on my errand-running day last week, and since then  have completely 3 more blocks (almost). That gives me enough that once I sew them together my blanket will be 4 squares by 4 squares. Plus, the amount of time it took me gives me hope that the next two chains of 4 and 5 squares won't take me forever. Once the piece is 5 by 5, I will decide if I want it even larger, but I doubt I will have enough yarn to do that. Instead I may make a couple of pillow coverings.


No comments:

Post a Comment