Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Darn it!

After coming home from work today, I took off my shoes to discover a hole in the toe of one of my hand knit socks. This brings me to 3 pairs out of commission and in need of darning.

The expression "darn it" I believe is derived from having to hand darn knit clothing. This is a simple (yet at times tedious) process where new fabric is either knit into the place of a hole, or woven to cover the area of the hole.

I have done this on the bottom of a color work purse, but not yet on socks.

I have not done it on socks, because I habitually get rid of those scraps of yarn left over after a pair of socks is knit. I hate having them laying around taking up space. And until now I saw no point to holding on to them.

Strangely, the three pairs that have holes needing repair are all damaged in very different places. The pair I am currently wearing are worn right at a decrease for the toe shaping. Another has worn on the bottom on the heel (I think the woven darning style will be a good choice for this pair). The final was weak in the picked up stitches for the heel flap.


No comments:

Post a Comment