Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Christmas Stocking Planning

Four years ago, for our first Christmas together, I knit stockings for my husband and I. Having chosen 4 classic Christmas hues, I still have plenty of yarn. Part of my plan was to knit stockings for our whole family. It was not until last week that I remembered that I now get to make the third stocking!!


Here are our stockings. I love the classic colors and style. It was a fun formula style pattern, too. 

This is one of my favorite kind of patterns to follow, because everything you need is provided and you can add as much of your own flair and creativity as you please. I could have made two of the same stockings. I could have a girl stocking and a boy stocking. Most likely each family stocking will be completely different from the others. 

Now for the biggest design challenge of the newest stocking in this family collection. "Evelyn" is a much longer name than "Paul" or "Rose" so I need to decide how to label the stocking(s) for our child(ren). I could monogram them with just the first initial of her first name, or with a full 3 letter monogram. 

I am leaning toward each stocking being a unique combination of patterns, so I think the labeling matters a bit less. So I will probably end up putting one nice stylish "E" at the top of this next stocking to identify it. I guess that means Evelyn will likely be our only child with a name that begins with the letter "E." 

How are your families stockings labeled? Maybe I will be inspired by your family traditions!




No comments:

Post a Comment