Friday, June 13, 2014

Little Red Hooded Shrug

I shared some of my favorite things about dolman sleeve sweaters earlier this week, and now I'd like to share with you one of my designs playing with dolman sleeves. I hate coming up with names for my designs, and this is no exception. In fact, it may be one of my poorer name decisions, but I have come to peace with it.

This sweater begins at the cuff and is worked inwards to the center. I am not afraid of kitchener stitch to graft my pieces together. If you are not so comfortable with it, this may be a good place to try it. At a larger gauge and with a long length to work with I think its much less intimidating than at the toe of a tiny sock.

so seamless

Back to the general design. I wanted to play with the idea of how much fabric is comfortable under the arms of a dolman style sweater. Many sweater styles that have a right angle in the armpit are said to actually have more armpit bulk than if those same sweaters had a more gradual angle. Creating a triangle of fabric instead of the harsh right angle. So I knit a bit, then when I reached the point that I thought the elbow would fit nicely, I began increasing every other row. I cannot tell you how comfortable this makes the shrug. It is so snuggly without looking sloppy. Plus it was fun to knit these sleeves.
you can see there is extra fabric but its not sloppy.

Because of its construction, the lace edging is knit onto live stitches to finish off the look. This made it easier than picking up and knitting stitches for the edging. The general technique is similar to the edging of a large lace shawl (think of the pi shawls or perhaps a large square shawl). So again, this would be a relatively easier place to try out such a technique in preparation for a larger, perhaps more intimidating, piece done at a smaller gauge.
you can see the lace edging best here (and my cable needle holding it together, I have since found a button, but not yet installed it).

This pattern as shown is available for sale through KnitPicks IDP


No comments:

Post a Comment